The position of Director, Research & Development (Candidate Development) within Aspen’s Research Department provides scientific and technical leadership under the direction of the Senior Vice President of Research. This newly created role supports product focused research projects using induced Pluripotent Stem Cells (iPSCs) for development of novel therapies.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Responsible for managing and providing scientific and intellectual guidance to scientists and research associates reporting into this position, including the staff on the matrix teams.
- Supervises and leads scientists involved with the isolation, expansion, differentiation, and general characterization of novel human iPSCs and iPSCs-derived cell types, utilizing among others cell biology, molecular biology, and immunohistochemistry methodologies.
- Direct and lead a team whose goal is to define and describe novel stem cell and cell based therapeutic opportunities through creative experimentation, generate proof-of-concept dataset to advance projects
- Leads and directs a multi-disciplinary (matrix) research team toward focused on contributing critical research data into the ongoing Aspen Research Pipeline Program
- Plan, develop and recommend to the SVP of Research adjustments to expenses, capital and personnel requirements for the IND directed efforts and pipeline development
- Assumes shared responsibility for authoring research summary documents for submission to regulatory agencies (INDs, NDAs)
- Works closely with the SVP of Research in establishing and achieving long-term research goals and objectives.
- Provide scientific and research progress reports to SVP of Research and/or Executive Management Team as required
- Ensures effective communication and teamwork and establishes and maintains collaborations with individuals and functional units outside his/her own group as needed
- Produces invention disclosure and patent applications that enhance the Company’s intellectual property portfolio
- Publishes papers in highly respected peer-reviewed scientific journals.
Education and Experience
- PhD or MD-PhD degree with multi-year experience in cell biology, stem cell biology and/or developmental biology
- Minimum of 8 years in biotech or pharmaceutical industry experience in stem cell and cell-based discovery, assay development and product development. (Equivalent applicable experience within the biotech/pharmaceutical industry and academia will be considered.)
- Experience bringing a product through research and development into clinical development.
- Relevant experience in managing groups of scientists on a group leader level (direct reports, matrix teams) and with experience of leading research projects as a project leader in industry or academia is required.
- Good knowledge base in cell biology, stem cell biology and/or developmental biology.
- Qualities of scientific leadership are particularly sought.
- Ability to critically evaluate scientific data required to move projects forward and have strong analytical skills.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral, required
- Effective in a team environment, able to collaborate across multidisciplinary teams, and can work independently.
- Proficient with computers and software such as Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint.
EEO and Employment Eligibility
Aspen Neuroscience is committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all employees and job applicants and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type. We are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
Total Rewards and Culture
Aspen Neuroscience, Inc., located in scenic Torrey Pines, is noted for its collaborative and learning focused culture where each person is valued for contributing their strengths and energy to building a world-class line of products for patients in need. The company offers a competitive total compensation package, time-off in addition to Company observed holidays, Medical/Dental insurance benefits, gym membership, and other wellness perks.
For immediate consideration, apply here: https://app.trinethire.com/companies/21059-aspen-neuroscience/jobs/62299-director-of-candidate-development